The 21st Busan International Film Festival
Total of 299 films from 69 countries,
122 World & International Premieres
BIFF 2016 Overview
Oct 6th (Thu) - Oct 15th (Sat), 2016
- SCREENING VENUE
- 34 SCREEN at 5 THEATERS (including P&I and Market screening)
- CGV Centum City, LOTTE CINEMA Centum City, MEGABOX Haeundae, Dongseo University Sohyang Theater, Busan Cinema Center
- Total of 299 films from 69 countries / 122 World & International Premieres
- 94 World Premieres (64 Feature Films, 30 Short Films)
- 28 International Premieres (26 Feature Films, 2 Short Films)
- All New Currents screenings are World Premieres
- Warming up for new takeoff and vision
- With reflective introspection about the past 20 years, 2016 will be the first year to find a new direction and vision to look back over the next 20 years. Enhancing its own identity—reading the global film industry and discovering new Asian and Korean Cinema talents, Busan International Film Festival will be an independent festival that leads the new flow on its own; interactive festival that broadens the contact points with audiences; and an active festival that contributes to film industry.
- Cooperating with the world’s filmmakers and citizen.
- Busan International Film Festival affirmed the affections and solidarity that world’s filmmakers and citizen have shown through the past 2 years growing pains. Harnessing all the support and criticism into vital energy to keep our independence and autonomy, we will wisely settle all remaining issues. In addition, BIFF 2016 will universally announce its desire for the solidarity of Asian cinema by arranging “Special Talk: Three Masters”, a program introduced by three of Asia’s master filmmakers: Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Kore-eda Hirokazu, and Lee Chang-dong.
- Ranging from LEE Doo Yong, Abbas KIAROSTAMI to masters of Colombia; retrospective and special programs covering Korean, Asian, and Colombian Cinema.
- Korean Film retrospective of this year’s Busan International Film Festival will shed light on Lee Doo Yong, who opened the way for Korean genre film. Also, Special programs in focus will present memorable moments to meet the late Abbas Kiarostami’s masterpieces which include from his early works to his latest film. Iranian film master Abbas Kiarostami, who passed away this year, will be the recipient of the Asian Filmmaker of the Year Award. Also, the Busan International Film Festival offers an opportunity to keep track of the history of Colombian cinema which is receiving new acclaim by world.
- Asian Film Market, Reinforcement of E-IP Market
- The Asian Film Market provides various business opportunities for entertainment contents industry players in film, TV, and other new media productions.
‘E-IP Pitching’ and ‘Book To Film’ events will introduce to film and audiovisual contents makers the latest entertainment intellectual properties such as webtoons(web comics), web-novels, animations and novels, and will serve as the breaking grounds for participants to pursue potential business opportunities. Furthermore, ‘E-IP Legal Seminar’ and ‘E-IP Financing Seminar’ will offer informative advice on the legal protections for entertainment intellectual properties as well as the latest developments in E-IP investment and distribution on various platforms.